Wednesday, January 27, 2010

New Recipe...

I am all about finding new recipe's that are kid friendly and healthy for my family. I have been reading The Eat-Clean Diet for family and kids by Tosca Reno. It is not a diet (even though it says it in the title). It is more about eating a diet full of fruits, vegetables, whole grain natural foods. It stays away from preservatives, white flour and white sugars. We have not gone completely over to this (although I would like to). We are eating better and trying new foods. Tonight I made fish sticks. The following is from Tosca Reno's book which I highly recommend. This is the only book of hers that I have, but she has written others...


"It's hard to believe that fish sticks could be healthy for you. Most commercially available fish sticks with breaded coatings contain dangerous trans fats - these come from partially hydrogenated vegetable oils. Trans fats are known to cause health problems, so I encourage you to stay away from them. Most coatings are also high in unnecessary and unhealthy sugar, saturated fat and sodium. But how do you get your child to eat fish at least once a week without that yummy, crispy coating? Make your own version of breaded fish sticks. You and your family will love them."

Ingrediants:
1/2 cup crushed Kashi High Fiber Cereal or Kashi Original 7 Grain TLC crackers (you can also use corn meal or breadcrumbs from any stale whole-grain bread.)
2-3 egg whites with 1 Tbsp water
4x6oz white fish fillets - sole, tilapia, or other white fish
1 Tbsp herb seasoning (I like old bay, but prefer a lower salt content)
Eat-Clean cooking spray --- (olive oil in a spray bottle)

Preparation:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper or spray with a light coating of cooking spray. Cut fish filets into rectangles measuring about 3" x 1 1/2". Try to keep a uniform size and thickness for best cooking results. Set aside.
2. In a medium-sized bowl mix crumbs with seasonings, salt and pepper. In another small bowl mix egg whites and water.
3. Dip each fish stick in egg mixture, allowing excess to drip off. Dip in crumb mixture and lay on prepared baking sheet. Discard extra breadcrumb mixture.
4. When baking sheet is full, place in oven and bake for 5 minutes or until golden on one side. Then flip and bake the other side. You may not need to bake any longer than 4 or 5 minutes, but keep an eye on the fish sticks. The ideal color is golden brown. Once baked, remove from heat and serve hot!

Side note: My kids are picky eaters...well mostly Eliza and she took a few bites.
The kids did use ketchup...which is not part of clean-eating. I am supposed to make my own. I will let you know if I start making my own ketchup. In the future having 3 kids under the age of 3...not sure if I will have the time to do everything from scratch!

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Ooooops, i give my kids fish sticks all the time! This is a great recipe, though and it doesn't look too hard...